Steven Mauer is a civil trial lawyer focusing on commercial litigation. Prior to co-founding Zerger & Mauer LLP, Steve was a long-time partner with an international Kansas City law firm where he represented a variety of businesses and municipalities as plaintiffs and defendants. For years, Steve has served as the litigation coordinator for several clients and represented them in a wide variety of disputes.
Currently, Steve is the primary trial lawyer for several banks including National Bank of Kansas City. He also represents multiple public entities including the Kansas City Tax Increment Financing Commission and the City of Independence, Missouri. For these clients, Steve has participated in breach of contract suits, real property litigation, claims for breach of duty, administrative proceedings, appeals and a wide variety of other matters.
Steve also has a very successful plaintiffs’ practice obtaining several million dollar judgment verdicts. In civil suits, his recoveries total over $100 million dollars. In four consecutive years, his cases were among top ten verdicts, judgments and settlements in the entire State of Missouri. Representative cases include:
- City of Greenwood v. Hunt Martin Materials – Two-week civil trial with a plaintiff’s verdict of $11.9 million.
- City of Higginsville v. KCP&L and Banderas Construction v. North American Surety Insurance – Settlements in two cases with a combined value exceeding $43 million.
- City of Lake Lotawana v. Lee’s Summit School District – Trial resulted in a verdict for our client which totaled over $44 million.
- Yale v. City of Independence – Defended a wrongful termination action in which the plaintiff’s last settlement demand was $1.1 million.
- Burjeck v. Royal Insurance Corp. – Successful defense of a consumer fraud class action litigation where customers alleged fraud, negligent misrepresentation and breach of contract.
- City of Harrisonville v. McCall’s – Week long jury trial with a plaintiff’s verdict of $8,172,000.
Awards and Recognition
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers List, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2007-2018
- Best Lawyers in America (multiple editions)
- AV Preeminent Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell, 2014-2018
- “The Best Lawyers in Kansas City®” List, Ingram’s Magazine, 2007-2018
- US News, Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2018
- “Super Lawyer”, Ingram’s Magazine (multiple years)
- Top Lawyers (multiple years)
- “Best Missouri Attorneys”, St. Louis Magazine
- Attorney of the Year – Missouri, Corporate Vision Magazine
- Citizen of the Year – 1998, 2008
- Public Service Award – City Attorneys’ Association of Kansas
- Truman Heartland Award
- Independence School District Recognition
- Chamber of Commerce – Chairman/Board Member
- Centerpoint Medical Center – Board of Trustees/Chairman
- Legacy Foundation – Founder and Officer
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri – Board of Trustees
- Sunshine Center School for Developmentally Handicapped Children – President
- United Way – Chairman/Board of Directors
- Pathway Academy Charter School – School Board Member and Chairman
- Drake University Law School – Board of Counselors
- Drake University, J.D., with honors, 1987
- Morningside College, B.A., summa cum laude, 1984
- Missouri, 1987
- Kansas, 2005
- United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- United States Bankruptcy Court
- United States District Court for the District of Kansas
- 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- 10th Circuit Court of Appeals